English with Callan Method. QQ English
Introduction of Callan Method
During the lesson, the student progresses for fifty minutes without the use of any textbooks
- Learn new sentences and explanations by listening
- Review what was learned last time (70% of lesson time)
- Read textbooks to confirm what you learned
- Dictation of written sentences read by the teacher, checking of spelling
- Different from many other teaching methods because the emphasis is on revision. The material you learn in one lesson is repeated in the following lessons so that you won’t forget it. Through constant practice and revision, you improve your pronunciation and fluency at the same time.
- Carefully designed so that you practice the most important words and grammar first. Even if you are a beginner, you will soon be able to hold a conversation in English. As you progress through the stages, we introduce more complex vocabulary and grammar.
- Improve your speaking and listening skills, and become a more confident communicator. The lessons are taught completely in English, which teaches you to think and speak in English without pausing to translate.
- The teacher speaks quickly, and you will learn to understand English as it is spoken naturally. Because of the speed of the lessons, you won’t have any time to think in your own language or worry about using the correct grammar. Instead, you learn to speak as a reflex, like you did when learning your own language as a child.
- The teacher corrects every mistake you make as soon as you make it. The teacher corrects by imitation, repeating your error, then giving the correct version for you to repeat. You will learn from this correction and make rapid progress.
- Studies conducted in 2 Japanese universities proved that students using the Callan Method made more progress in fewer lessons than all other methods of teaching English. This makes the Callan Method a very cost-effective way of learning English since you will get results in a shorter time than other methods.
- The classes are lively and full of action, so you won’t get bored. You will enjoy every hour you study at our school, and will always make steady progress.
How does the Callan Method Work?
We all know that we learn best when we revise work several times. The Callan Method uses this fact, and adds a small amount of new work each day. This way, you will build a strong base to improve your English language skills quickly.
There are 2 different types of Callan Method lesson, which you will normally take one after the other. They are:
1. Revision Lesson: all work covered during this lesson is material that you will have covered in previous lessons, nothing is new.
2. New Work Lesson: most of the work covered during this lesson is work that you will have covered in previous lessons, but some of the material is new work.
What happens in a Callan Method class?
What the Teacher does:
The teacher speaks constantly throughout the lesson.
- The teacher asks questions from a book.
- Each question practices a particular word, expression or piece of grammar.
- The teacher asks the question twice; in case you didn’t understand it the first time.
- The teacher prompts the answer by giving you the first 2 or 3 words. This helps you to start speaking immediately even if you don’t know the answer. It also stops you from translating and thinking about vocabulary or grammar.
What you do:
When the teacher prompts you to answer a question, try to answer it in full and use the same words and grammatical structure as the question. For example:
Teacher: Are you speaking French?
Student: No, I’m not speaking French, I’m speaking English.
- Answer with a negative followed by a positive. This way, you get the chance to practice positive and negative forms as well as opposites.
Callan Method Stages
From beginner to advanced, the Callan Method is suitable for everyone regardless of their level. The Callan Method has 12 levels, from beginner to advanced. Mr. Callan said: ‘Books one and two of the Callan Method can be compared to laying the foundations of a house, books three to six to erecting the walls, putting in windows, doors, plumbing etc., and books seven to ten doing the decorating and putting in the furniture’.
General introduction to practical outcomes:
During all stages of the Callan Method, you will learn spoken English. This means that you will learn to use and understand contractions, e.g. ‘can not’ ‘can’t’. Also, we will teach you new vocabulary at each stage. The aim of the Callan Method is to teach you language that you can immediately use in your everyday life. We start with the words that are used the most, so that even after only a few lessons, you will find that your understanding and use of English has improved.